Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Love Our Planet - Happy 40th Earth Day!

Earth Day is a very emotional time for me. As crazy as it sounds, it often brings me to tears. Perhaps it’s because I can feel the feelings of the living earth. Perhaps its because I respect the earth so much and all the power that it has and all that it gives us.

And then there’s the raw beauty of it. The rich colors of the flowers, the birds and the sunsets. The amazing highs of the mountains, the deep lows of the valleys and the awesome rock formations that you know weren’t there a few thousand years ago. The white sand, the crystal blue waters in some spots, the 20 foot high waves, the amazing creatures of the sea.

As cliché as it sounds, nature and the earth are truly wonders to behold and I work hard every day to make sure that we don’t ever lose this gift and this opportunity to coexist with nature that humans have been given. When I see garbage on the ground and see people disrespecting the earth by throwing things on the ground, I can almost feel the earth flinch or cry out. When I see landfills so full we have to close them and open new ones, it scares me that 100 years from now there might not be anywhere left for new landfills. Then where will the garbage go? I wonder, will our children’s children’s children have any parks to play in or will all that great space some day give way to landfills?

I love recycling. I worship recycling. When I see someone throwing a bottle or can away, I practically have chest pains. We as a society need to continue to learn how to recycle everything we use. I also am a big fan of garbage to energy. Let’s turn that garbage and the methane gas it emits into something useful.

Most importantly, let’s remember that the earth is a living thing and that existing on it is a privilege, not a right.
God bless America … and God bless the planet Earth.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: