Friday, December 05, 2008

You Can Find Absolutely Anything on YouTube…

Recently I began making an Excel spreadsheet of all mine and my mom’s old 45s to get them ready for sale on eBay. My mom’s records are all fifties and sixties music, including some real classics such as Elvis Presley’s “Hound Dog”.

I wanted to add the year the song was released to each line, which is not on the record, so I found myself searching the Internet. Ironically, I found a lot of the years marked on YouTube videos. It surprised me that I would find any of these old songs or groups on YouTube but, believe it or not, most of them are.

I was really taken aback when I found an old song from the fifties called “Diane”, by The Bachelors. This is a song that my mom used to play for my sister Diane when we were kids, saying that it was my grandfather singing to her from heaven. Listening to it brought back such wonderful memories.

I’m in heaven, when I see you smile…
Smile, for me, my Diane
And though everything’s dark
All the while, I can see you Diane.

Wow, does that take me back.

Then I started finding songs I loved from the seventies, such as the Poppy Family’s old folk tune, Which Way You Going Billy. I must have played that video 50 times last week!

It’s true, you can literally find anything on YouTube. Marvin Gaye singing I Heard it Through the Grapevine. Glen Campbell. John Denver. Every song I looked for, I found. Even Gospel songs like Shout to the Lord that I needed to practice for church.

I dare anyone to go to http://www.youtube.com right now and search for a song. Any song. Seriously. Right now. I bet you’ll find it. And let me know about the great memories you're able to bring back by looking at videos on YouTube!

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: