Saturday, March 06, 2010

Tupak Shakur's Redeeming Quality

Sometimes you can know a limited amount of information about someone and you spend your whole life thinking that that is all they are.

For me, Tupak Shakur was one of those people. He was in the news all the time for being a troubled rapper, a thug. But recently, I learned something new about him. I learned that he was a voracious reader, that he loved books and that he carried one with him everywhere he went. As two very different people, we never had anything in common, but now we do, for as a writer, I feel connected to anyone who reads. Without reading, I have no job. So we have this one link, this one degree of separation, if you will.

Will I think differently about him now? Perhaps. Perhaps if he had lived we would be sitting down at a Starbucks to discuss some dogeared hardcover about the unjustices of life he's just finished reading. Or perhaps we'd be sitting down talking about what I'm going to write in his biography. Perhaps!

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: