Monday, March 08, 2010

Are Digital-Era Kids Reading Enough?

I recently interviewed a CEO of a social media agency. We talked about how times - and teens - have changed and it got me wondering. I have a stepdaughter who was practically born with a mouse in one hand and a cell phone in the other. Pick up a hardcover book? Uggh. If it's not on the computer, she's not really interested.

This, of course, concerns me because, if people don't read, I'm out of a job. So I asked, "Is she getting enough reading just by being online, or should I be concerned that she's not reading enough?"

He told me what I did not want to hear: she is definitely not reading enough just by being on the Internet. His solution: buy her a digital reader such as a Sony or an Amazon Kindle. You can't force a kid to pick up a book, but you can definitely encourage them to read.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: