Monday, February 12, 2007

You Didn’t Have to Like Her to Feel Bad

I feel compelled to say something about the tragedy that befell Anna Nicole Smith. I was in no way a fan, and I liken her to Paris Hilton in that I feel her notariety is her claim to fame, rather than actually doing something worthy of fame. If she wasn’t in the news so frequently, I wouldn’t even know who she is.

For days, I struggled with whether I should say something or not. I was afraid that a post about her would embarrass me, making me look less than professional. This is a personal blog after all, but it is read by many professional people I interact with, so I have to take that into consideration.

But after several days of not being able to get her out of my head, I finally came to the conclusion that, irregardless of how she lived her life, and whether I agreed with her lifestyle or not, I am overcome with compassion for the people who are suffering as a result of her loss, and I needed to let it out.

The fact remains, she left behind a very innocent and vulnerable baby girl who not only did not ask to be part of any of this tragic mess but, worst of all, will never see her mother again. And that is so incredibly sad.

In addition, I don’t think much of Howard K. Stern. He has a very phony expression and looks a bit like a male gold digger to me. But he loved her, and he is now a devastated broken man. As is Larry Birkhead.

The point is, these are not soap opera characters, although we may treat them as such. They’re real people with real hearts that are really broken. And my heart goes out to them. All of them. Parents, sisters, ex boyfriends, her ‘quote un quote’ husband. It is not for me to judge. I can only pray for them and wish them the strength, hope and faith to go on.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: