Thursday, January 18, 2007

We Should All Try Out for American Idol

I’m not a big fan of bars. Never was. And when I go out, I don’t drink alcohol. But what I get high on is singing, and bonding with my friends who sing.

You see, my husband Adrian and I are certified karaoke junkies. We have our set places where we go. We know all the DJs, we know all the regulars. And we’ve made some really awesome friends over the years through the karaoke circuit.

The interesting thing is, none of us suck. We’re all really good singers and should be doing it professionally, or at least as a serious side job.

Last night was my husband’s birthday, and it just so happened to fall on our regular weekly karaoke night. Everybody was full of energy because we were celebrating — Sue, Lili, Cami, Ursula, Judith, Brie, and Bryan the DJ, among others.

But I couldn’t help looking around the room at all the great friends we have and thinking, God, American Idol should look here.

I’m not a bragger, but I have to be honest here. If American Idol came to O’Neill’s in Norwalk, Connecticut last night, they would have given out at least a half dozen golden tickets. In particular, my friends Ursula and Cami rocked the house. Ursula even got a standing ovation from the crowd.

I would love to see both of them on the big stage and I know they would love to see themselves on the big stage, as well.

But for now, I thank God and karaoke for bringing me (and Adrian) such great friends. And if American Idol doesn’t discover them, that’s their loss. At least we have each other.

Check out Ursula’s MySpace profile:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=46495872

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: