Wednesday, February 05, 2014

A Great Read: Water for Elephants

I just finished reading Water for Elephants and what a great book it is. Not only did it hold my attention from page 1, but it brought the book to life for me. I felt like I was there.

Water for Elephants is set in the 1920s Prohibition Era. A young man, Jacob Jankowski, has his life turned upside down and finds himself in the middle of a traveling circus. As he begins to travel with the circus, the book unravels the inner workings of this mysterious, quirky business and the people who make their livelihood in it.

You get a sense of the incredibly hard work that goes on behind the scenes as they unload, put up, take down and reload dozens of tents 52 weeks a year and feed the animals every day. And they provide everyone with three square meals a day, under a tent, that requires the loading and unloading of hundreds of pounds of food with every stop.

There is love, there is intrigue, there is humor, and there is compassion in this book. If you're like me and you like your books to take you away to another place and time, this is the book for you. It's now on my top 10 list.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: