Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dismantling Arizona Law SB 1070

I like the idea of making it a crime to be illegal in the state. I wouldn’t mind doing that in every state. What I do not agree with is the way it's being implemented.

If you’re going to introduce such a huge law, then you have to have equal opportunity around it. First of all, there needs to be an amnesty period. You can’t decide in three months or however long they took that they’re going to make this a law tomorrow. There needs to be an amnesty period whereby people without proper paperwork can get that paperwork, and get it easily. Everyone who is illegal needs to have a fair chance to become legal.

Secondly, if you are in a country outside the U.S. and you apply for a U.S. visa, you stay in your home country until you receive the proper paperwork. If you come to America and apply for your paperwork once you get here, you are SOL. It is virtually impossible to get papers once you set foot in this country, and that makes no sense at all.

“Hi. I’ve been visiting for three weeks and I’ve decided I like it here. Can I please stay?” What the hell is wrong with that? Okay, 99% of the people who come into this country illegally don’t come for vacation. They come for life. But still, I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again: we wouldn’t have so many illegals if we didn’t make it so damn hard to become legal. We need to make this process waaaayyy easier and quicker.

Finally, all this buzz about Arizona profiling is really hurt the state. They’re losing visitors and they’re losing out of state students. They say they’re not going to profile, but they need to put their money where their mouth is and prove it.

Overall, I don’t have a problem with the law itself. I think it’s great. The problems are around how the law will be implemented and much work is needed there. Unfortunately, I don’t think the federal government sees the problems I see. I can only hope that someone in the House or Senate steps up to the plate and starts a dialogue.

And one more thing. Every person who thinks that every illegal immigrant should be sent packing needs to remember that every person who founded and built this country in the first 100 years was an illegal immigrant. You wouldn't be here if they couldn't come in.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

1 comment:

dangerouslove90 said...

I agree 100%.You have people like myself who would love to come over their and start a new life, and better my future.Its just so much more opprotunities than in your home country.America really makes it hard for other people/immigrants to be apart of something good.