Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Day I Almost Met Bill Clinton

One day I had to pick my husband up from work at Pepsico headquarters in Armonk, NY. It was about 2 p.m. I sat in the semi-circle with my car in park, engine running. There were a couple of other vehicles there, but I didn't pay them any mind. I never noticed that the one in front and in back of me were both black Escalades.

As I was waiting, I saw four people come out a side door. I noticed that one coincidentally looked a little bit like Bill. But I would never expect the former president of the United States to come out a side door. Nor would I expect him to have such a small entourage. Just him and three other people, including a woman who looked to me like someone who handled public relations for the firm. In addition, he was wearing an orange polo shirt and a pair of faded jeans and sneakers. The former president of the United States dressed so casually after a speech? Perhaps someone had already put his pinstripe suit in the car. He also looked unusually thin.

As he came closer to the Escalade in front of me, the one behind me moved up and cut in front of my car. Only then did I know for sure that it was really him. I wanted so badly to roll down my window and yell, Hey Bill! and wave. But I was afraid that if I did, I would have 20 secret service men in my face in about three seconds.

I watched him get in the car and the two Escalades drove off. But I'm disappointed that I missed my opportunity. He was only about 20 or 30 feet from the hood of my car. Bill, if you're reading this, perhaps you could make up for it by taking me to lunch one day. Well, at least I've got the memory.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: