Thursday, September 03, 2009

Health Care Town Hall Meeting Rises to a Boil

Last night I attended one of those town hall meetings on health care that have been all over the news. There were about 5,000 people in attendance from Stamford, Greenwich, Westport, Wilton, Weston, Norwalk and Darien.

The tension was high. Dissension was high. People were screaming from the audience. Most of the comments were pretty stupid. One woman yelled, "equal opportunity health care is not a constitutional right!" Huh? Another one yelled, "I don't want to pay for abortions!" Again, huh? Wow, there's a lot of misconception and ignorance in the world.

First of all, I believe that equal opportunity health care IS a constitutional right. Let's remember that most of the rights we have today - like the right for women to vote and for integration, not segregation - came long after the original constitution was written.

Here are some other things I know:

FACT: A 36-year-old woman's insurance company wouldn't pay for her $6,000 weekly chemo treatments because the treatment was new and "not proven".

FACT: There have been numerous stories about people who needed bone marrow transplants and insurance companies refused to pay for the expensive procedure because "it wasn't proven". It took years of fighting to get insurance companies to pay for these. I wonder how many people died waiting.

FACT: I've been turned down by insurance companies. My husband has been turned down by an insurance company. Insurance companies should not be allowed to turn anyone down.

FACT: We ended up forfeiting our COBRA because the rates were raised so high that we couldn't afford them. Insurance companies should not be allowed to charge absorbitant rates.

FACT: We're already paying for schools in our taxes. I don't have any kids in the school system but yet I have to pay for it anyway.

FACT: My taxes go to pay for the highways and the roads. I work from home so I don't use those highways and roads as much as most other people but yet I'm still paying the same amount for those roads as everyone else. Why not pay for healthcare out of our taxes?

FACT: From the time we are first old enough to work (i.e., age 16), we start paying into social security, something that none of us uses until we reach retirement age, yet no one has ever complained about paying into that. Furthermore, some people never even reach retirement age and never get to use any of it. Most people never get to use all of it. But no one has any problem with that.

I believe that equal opportunity healthcare is a constitutional right for all Americans. I believe that any government run program that requires us to pay into it from our paychecks should be for documented Americans only (but I also feel there should be better ways and more opportunities for undocumented aliens to become documented). And anyone who thinks that a government run healthcare system is going to pay for free abortions for the poor is an idiot. Unless that person is raped and is an uninsured minor. Then I think it makes sense.

The only shout out in the crowd that I heard last night that makes any sense at all is this: let's not try to boil the ocean. Let's take small steps. Today, pass a law that says that insurance companies cannot deny anyone insurance and make it illegal for insurance companies to deny preexisting conditions or new forms of medicine. That would be a great start. From there, we should move on to make payments affordable.

Perhaps there are certain medical wellness processes that could be government run, such as child vaccinations, mammograms, pap smears, prostate cancer tests, eye exams, blood pressure screenings, etc. Things that we can all benefit from. I am not opposed to government run medical insurance that creates a level playing field for all who need care, and I am not opposed to paying for it out of my paycheck or my taxes. Let's find a workable program that meets the needs of everyone.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: