Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A word about A Rod

I’m glad that Alex Rodgriguez told the truth. I’m not happy that he took steroids five years ago.

Yet while everyone is responsible for their own actions, I feel the real blame lies on the baseball organizations that are willing to pay out these multi-million dollar contracts.

If I was paid millions of dollars over the course of a few years, I would feel pressured to perform too. And I might do anything I had to not to fail.

People like A Rod and Jose Conseco ruin the dream of baseball for everyone. I think the Major League Baseball Association needs to get tougher on steroids with a strict policy that anyone who tests positive is eliminated for the entire season. And I think random drug testing should be improved and the frequency increased. Perhaps, instead of urine tests, take a strand of a player’s hair, since drugs can be traced through the hair going back three full months, or through saliva swabs, like they do on Law & Order SVU.

The contracts issue will never change. The bar has been set and nobody’s going to lower contract fees for star players. But perhaps they should be structured differently so athletes are rewarded for doing their best and not for attempting to achieve goals at any cost.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon.

No comments: